Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A bunny is born

I absolutely love making softies, so when we are invited to a birthday party I am always eager to make a stuffed toy if I have the time. I dread the day when my kids are too old to give these kind of gifts (I think I was pushing it a bit with this one for a 7-year-old boy). I never thought I'd enjoy making softies so much but I love the suspense I feel during the process; you never really know how it will turn out until the face is embroidered on and then you just love the new creature. The face is by far the hardest part for me. It sometimes takes me as long to embroider the face as it does to put together the rest of the body (which explains why I was off in the corner sewing on the face at the party and this blurry picture I got!). I made it from this great pattern, which I highly recommend. My kids both want me to make them one....oh, twist my arm!

I'd like to be more confident and start making my own patterns, but I just don't feel as though I have time for that kind of trial and error. I have made dolls from my own pattterns, but I'd like to play more with variations. I do learn a lot from working with patterns and feel great about supporting someone else's hard work by buying independent patterns.


No comments: